Thursday, February 11, 2010

Virtual PC on Windows 7 without hardware virtualization

(Yes, it can be done. It's simple too. Read on.)

... I installed Windows7.... Office 2010 beta.... and some good oldies.....
And then I wanted to use my Virtual Machines that I happened to use A LOT under windows XP. So I searched for Microsoft's Windows Virtual Machine, which offered me to download first XP Mode, and then Windows Virtual PC. Obedient as I am, I did so.

It didn't work. It said I needed Hardware Virtualization. Fine! Opened the BIOS. No dice!
I mean: no virtualization. Flashed the BIOS (one never knows, and one has to try). No dice!

So here I was, stuck with an old T5500 Intel Processor on a HP nx9420 machine, with a nice modern Windows7 that can't run my old VMs.

So, fed up as I was, I went to clean out some hard-disks (I needed the space for VHDs with Server 2008 R2 on it). And one has to pass the time somehow (like 2 kids don't keep me busy enough. Hah!). While browsing through my HardDisks I came across some old version of Virtual PC (64 bit SP1). I figured I'd give it ago (it really sounds like I was bored doesn't it?).

Guess what: runs like a house on fire.

Of course, the web is full of stories that hardware virtualization is needed for the new Microsoft Virtual PC. What the web isn't full of, is the fact that the old Microsoft Virtual PC software still works. I'm happy again.....
If you need the old 2007 version, just respond to my blog (I still have the 32 bit version too).

No comments: